30% Volume Growth Was Seen in the First Quarter by AB InBev India

AB InBev

Anheuser-Busch InBev (AB InBev) India has reported a substantial 30% increase in sales during the first half of 2023, driven by gains in key markets. The company, a prominent player in the premium and super premium beer segment with brands like Budweiser, Hoegaarden, and Corona, experienced growth of 200-300 basis points in markets such as Karnataka, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, and West Bengal. Despite some challenges observed in the urban market, which has seen a tapering off in demand in urban centers, AB InBev India’s President Kartikeya Sharma remains confident in maintaining the growth rate.

Sharma stated that while challenges exist in sustaining and expanding share gains in the second half of the year, the company was content with its performance in the first half. In AB InBev’s top 10 focus markets, the gap between the company and the market leader is narrowing to two to three percentage points, and in some instances, AB InBev has even taken the lead.

Regarding consumption trends post-Covid, Sharma noted an extension in the peak of the premium segment. However, in the last two months, urban centers have shown a decline in this trend. Despite this, AB InBev’s positioning in the premium segment has enabled them to gain market share in the second half.

AB InBev’s super premium brands Corona and Hoegaarden contribute significantly to total sales, alongside Budweiser. These three brands collectively contribute to 58% of the total volume, with the remaining 42% attributed to entry-level beers.

AB InBev also ventured into the Indian whiskey market last year with brands like Budweiser Magnum Double Barrel and D’YAVOL INCEPTION. Additionally, the company launched variants of Gin and Spiced Rum under its Hoegaarden brand in 2023.

Despite inflationary pressures, AB InBev did not pass on the impact to consumers but rather adjusted its margins to sustain growth. Since entering India in 2008 with Budweiser, the country has become the fourth-largest market for Budweiser globally. Notably, India is the only country where AB InBev offers beer, whiskey, and energy drinks under its Budweiser portfolio.

Read More: Click Here