Her achievements are numerous. Yet in her humble pursuit of the proliferation of humankind’s health, Dr Dharini Krishnan says, “I’m dedicated to providing optimal health care in a relaxed environment where I treat every patient as if they were my own family. I have been a Consultant Dietitian in this field for over three decades.”
An Expert in handling Obesity, Weight Loss in adults and children, she helps people with Diabetes, Kidney problems and many more issues. Dr Dharini, a leading consultant dietician in Chennai, is breaking new ground in diet counselling. As a transformational innovator, Dr Dharini has conceptualized and created a personalized Diet Software – DIGEST: a tailor-made software for dieticians. Dr Dharini has regularly appeared on various TV channels, including Jaya TV, Kalaignar TV etc.
In her educational qualifications, Dr Dharini has a Doctorate in Science (Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics) (Ph. D.), Bachelor and Master’s in Food, Nutrition and Dietetics. She is a Registered Dietitian (R.D.), has a Bachelor in Education (B. Ed), and received a Diploma in Software Systems Analysis and Design.
Her Thesis – ‘Effect of Diet Counseling and Diet Counseling and Exercise on subjects with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus,’ earned her Degree in Philosophy. She is also a Certified Genetic Counsellor and the Director of DV Living Sciences Enterprise Pvt Ltd., where she works towards research in Dietetics.
As a Former Secretary of the Eco Science Research Foundation and working towards the organic movement, Dr Dharini’s list of accolades is long. Here are a few of them.
- Presented the keynote address at the International Confederation of Dietetic Associations in Sydney in September 2012.
- Doing research on Diet and Health with the University of Southern Queensland and Central Washington University.
- Two posters for the research work on School Lunch in Chennai in collaboration with the University of Southern Queensland and Central Washington University were presented at the ICD Granada, Spain, in August 2016.
- One of the authors in Insights on Medical Nutrition Therapy for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Indian Perspective: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12325-019-0872-8
- One of the article’s authors: Nutrient analysis of school lunches and anthropometric measures in a private and public school in Chennai, India. Health Information Science and Systems volume 8, Article number: 11 (2020), Published Feb 27th 2020.
- One of the article’s authors – “Diagnosis and principles of management of gestational diabetes mellitus in the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic.” https://doi.org/10.1007/s13410-020-00860-1
- One of the authors, Mageshwari JU, Trueman P, Krishnan D, Viswanathan V. “Management of Metabolic Syndrome with Lifestyle Counseling and Supplementation with Flaxseed.” Indian J Nutri. 2021;8(3): 232.
- “Role of macronutrients and suitability of upcoming dietary trends for Asian adults with type 2 diabetes” has been published in the “Journal of Diabetology.”
- “Role and importance of high fiber in diabetes management in India” on May 02, 2022. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews.
Please describe DV Living Science Enterprise.
The company was incorporated for work in Integrated Dietetics, Modern Dietetics and Ayurveda. Modern Dietetics and Technology were the two main branches of the company. I, as a practising Dietitian with experience from the year 1984 and Dr Madhumitha Krishnan, as a consultant Ayurveda Physician, have done great work in the integrated workspace.
What inspired you to venture into the healthcare sector as a Nutritional & Dietary solutions provider?
I wanted to be a medical doctor. But when I stumbled into this course, I found it very relevant and the need of the hour for people’s health. Hence, I pursued it from graduation to post-graduation to a Doctorate in the same field. Very satisfied with the job that I do. I also learnt computer programming and was the first Dietitian to develop software, a health website and an App related to Dietetics.
What USPs make you stand out as a leading Nutritional & Dietary solutions provider?
- Former Chairperson of the Registered Dietitian Board (RD) of the Indian Dietetic Association – 2012 to 2015.
- Former National President of The Indian Dietetic Association – 2008 to 2011
- Former Chennai Chapter President of The Indian Dietetic Association – 2004 – 2007
- DIGEST – Personalized Diet Software was developed indigenously. It is used by Dietitians, both as consultants and in hospitals. It is first done by a Dietitian. Developed in 1992 and up to 2008, upgraded and helped clients maintain the software. It started with Windows 95 and went on till Windows 10.
- Developed a Health Website – it was the first in India. It helped individuals and patients maintain good health by analysing exercise and diet regimens. First to be done by a Dietitian. From 2001 to 2011, we maintained the website and answered queries related to the same.
- I developed an application for the Android mobile phone on diet and exercise – Nutritracs – Calories on the go, which was used in research. First to be done by a Dietitian in 2013.
- I Published a Book, “Appetising Wheaty Treats,” for the Propagation of wheat in South India.
- Article Published: The Impact of Diet Counselling on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Indian Case Study, Krishnan et al. in Diabetes and Metabolism. J Diabetes Metab 2015, 6:10. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2155-6156.1000610. Diet Counselling done to clients is converted into research and proves its importance.
- Have a personal website, www.dharinikrishnan.com, from the year 2003 to date.
- Did research on School Lunches using the App with Central Washington University and the University of Southern Queensland and published many posters and articles in international conferences and journals.
- Have my own YouTube Channel – Dharini Krishnan’s Easy Diet.
What were the initial challenges after venturing into the Nutritional & Dietary solutions field, and what are the challenges now?
Since Nutrition and Dietetics come under the Home Science courses, people did not understand their importance. When I first put up a board as a Consultant Dietitian, people did not understand what I would do. Today the field is well recognized and has become the need of the hour.
Being an experienced leader, share your opinion on how technology is transforming the Nutritional and Dietary sector and what advancements we can expect in the future.
Nutrigenomics and Ayurgenomics together are going to transform the world. Ayurgenomics can help easily identify the person’s Prakriti (nature) and hence their digestive power and lacunae, nutrigenomics can help design diets for them. They are going to be the future of dietetics. Using artificial intelligence and the internet of things, one will come out with customized solutions for each client according to their health conditions and assimilability.
What would be your advice to aspirants willing to venture into your field?
Nutrition and Dietetics are revolutionizing the world. You are what you eat is the mantra. Even eminent doctors have started talking about nutrition, whether it is specialization in cardiology or Diabetes. It is a very upcoming field in which one can shine very well.
How do you envision scaling the company’s scope and offerings in future?
Continue what I am doing. Use more technology, be a consultant for the same, and be a unique dietitian qualified as a programmer and a genetic counsellor.
Dr Dharini Krishnan’s Hall of Fame:
- Diaita and Hi9 Honorary Award for Unique Contribution to Nutrition and Dietetics in January 2020. She received the award from Governor of Telengana, Hon Tamil Isai Soundararajan.
- Realistic Award by Pakwan and Rajwada for Professional Dietitian Feb 2020.
- She received the Aval Vikatan Award for Best Dietitian in August 2018.
- Received the Mayan Awards 2018 from Vista India for being a Visionary in Diet Consultation from Lt. Gov. of Puducherry, Dr Kiran Bedi (Ret. IPS).
- She received the Amio Kumar Bose award from the Indian Dietetic Association in November 2015.